Artists in Exile is currently working through the Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme, Homes for Ukraine, which allows Ukrainian nationals and their family members to come to the UK if they have a named sponsor.

We are looking for sponsors in and close to Cardiff, Leeds, London and Cambridge who can provide at least 6 months of stable accommodation.

We are operating in these areas to ensure there is a network of Ukrainians and organisations to provide support and work placements.

To be confirmed as a sponsor you must be based in the UK with at least 6 months permission to be here. You can be of any nationality. You will need to prove your identity using a recognised identity document for ID check.

Accommodation can be anything from an empty room to an unoccupied home, as long as it’s safe, heated, free from health hazards and gives your guests adequate access to bathroom and kitchen facilities.

Government guidelines stipulate that two people should not be in one room unless they are: adult cohabiting partners; a parent and child; two siblings of the same gender if aged over 10; two siblings regardless of gender if aged under 10. Individuals who didn’t previously know each other should not be given the same room.

W E L C O M I N G   Y O U R   G U E S T (S) 

Your guests will be eligible for a single onward journey via national rail, light rail, bus and coach, free of charge to your destination anywhere in England, Scotland and Wales. They will only need to show their Ukrainian passport and boarding pass or ticket showing arrival into the country within the last 48 hours.

If you are not able to meet your guest from your local train or bus station we will arrange for someone to do so.

As a sponsor, the first thing to do will be to make sure guests are comfortable in their accommodation and setup with the basics. They should have enough food and essential supplies like toiletries. Artists in Exile can help with this if necessary.

Don’t expect your guests to be outgoing or sociable. Remember they will probably be exhausted and disorientated. Settling in may take time.

You cannot charge rent, but the government are offering an optional ‘thank you’ payment of £350 per month to people who can accommodate one or more household (subject to the accommodation they have).

The ‘thank you’ payment is limited to one payment per residential address. You will continue to receive payments for as long as you sponsor somebody and for up to 12 months. This payment will be made in arrears.

The UK government is ensuring ‘thank you payments’ do not affect benefit entitlement and will remain tax-free. Prior to payment, checks will be carried out which will include a visit to your home.

Every guest will be entitled to a £200 interim payment to help with subsistence costs which will be provided by the local council.

Your guest will be able to access support from your local council for instance for helping children access school places, as well as from Jobcentre Plus. It would be helpful if you could assist them in registering with a GP.

Artists in Exile will also be on hand to offer advice and help support your guest. We will be liaising with refugee support networks in your area.

In addition to checks prior to visas being issued, all households receiving guests from Ukraine will receive checks by your local council on the property and household. All households will be visited to ensure the accommodation is fit for purpose and suitable to receive guests.

If the accommodation is self-contained or only adults without specific vulnerabilities (see below) are coming into the property then Basic DBS checks are undertaken on all adult members in the sponsor household.

If children under the age of 18 are going to be accommodated in the household, then an Enhanced DBS check (including a check of the children’s barred list) will be undertaken on all people in the sponsor’s household over 16. See our 'Safeguarding' page.

Sponsors are committed to hosting guests for a minimum of 6 months, but you may choose to continue beyond the initial six months if you and your guest wish to.

If you don’t want to continue the arrangement beyond 6 months (or at any time after that), you should let your guest know in plenty of time so they can make other arrangements. Sponsors should aim to give notice two months before the end of the 6 months (or with 2 months’ notice before any later date).


Ukrainians who hold a valid Ukrainian international passport or an expired Ukrainian international passport with a formal extension stamp issued by the Ukrainian government can complete an application online and do not need to attend an appointment at a visa application centre (VAC).

Artists in Exile can fill in the visa form on their behalf, but will need to upload identity documents from both parties. Alternatively sponsors and their guests can fill in the form together. We can advise on this.

Documents that show the identity of the UK-based sponsor must be uploaded, for example a passport or driving licence.

Ukrainians who do not hold a valid Ukrainian international passport will have to book and attend an appointment at a visa application centre